|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cool as could be, this drink from Remedy Teas highlights the flavor of Japanese green tea with the double cooling action of mint and cucumber. This fresh-tasting, super-hydrating combo puts the chill on from the inside out.
They recommend Japanese green tea as a base for its fresh, clean, green taste that pairs perfectly with cool cucumber and mint.
"Super refreshing iced tea recipe, perfect to help cool-off in the summer. Great amount of lime juice, I added honey as the sweetener, and it balanced the flavors wonderfully. I did not strain the cucumber and mint out of the tea because I wanted the texture." —Tara Omidvar
8 cups brewed Japanese green tea
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and pureed cucumber
1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped and muddled
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, or lemon juice
Cucumber slices, for garnish, optional
Fresh mint leaves, for garnish, optional
Gather the ingredients.
In a large pitcher or bowl, combine the green tea, cucumber puree, mint, and lime juice. Sweeten to taste, if desired.
Cover the pitcher and chill the mixture for several hours.
Strain and discard the mint and cucumber, if desired.
Add ice to each glass. Garnish the rim with sliced cucumbers, if desired. Cucumber also looks nice in the glass not just on the rim. Add mint leaves to the tea, if desired.
- To brew Japanese Green Tea: use 1 tsp tea leaves per 1 cup 160 F water. Brew for 1 to 3 minutes and strain the tea leaves. Japanese green teas tend to be fresh and oceanic. China green teas tend to be smokier and nuttier. Look for a tea that is more fresh and green and less smoky and nutty.
- To make Simple Syrup: Boil 1:1 ratio of sugar to water and boil to dissolve on the stove, then chill. Or use agave, honey or alternative sweetener. Keep it light.
- Switch from lime to lemon juice.
- If in the mood for spirits, sake and vodka pair well with this green tea treat. Add a couple of cups (to taste, desired level) of cold sake or vodka to create an adult version of this drink.
- For extra wow-factor, garnish with a rosemary twig for aromatics and visual appeal.