This easy salad recipe is very gourmet tasting. In fact, it's so scrumptious that your guests will think you labored over it (though it takes only minutes to make!). Simply toss some pineapple chunks (fresh or canned) with cucumber, green onion, slices of red pepper, and peanuts together in an easy homemade Thai salad dressing, and voila - a perfect salad that looks and tastes like summer itself. Makes a nice salad to accompany other Thai food dishes, or take it to a barbecue party or potluck where it's sure to be the talk of the party!
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups (fresh or canned pineapple) chunks
- 1 English cucumber (or 1 medium field cucumber)
- 3 spring onions (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced thinly or diced)
- 1/2 cup dry whole roasted unsalted peanuts (or cashews)
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (chopped if leaves are large)
- For the Salad Dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red chili (de-seeded and minced, OR 1 tsp. chili sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon shrimp paste, or 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a cup and set aside. Place pineapple chunks in a mixing bowl.
- To prepare cucumber: Remove skin with a vegetable peeler, then cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Slice these sections again lengthwise (several times if the cucumber is thick), then slice the other way to create cubes or chunks. Add these to the mixing bowl.
- Slice red pepper thinly to create matchstick-like pieces. Add these to the mixing bowl.
- Add sliced spring/green onion, plus the whole roasted peanuts.
- Add most of the basil and coriander, putting aside a little of each for the garnish.
- Pour over the salad dressing over and toss well.
- Scoop salad onto a serving plate and top with the extra basil and coriander, plus a good sprinkling of nuts.
- If desired, serve with lime wedges on the side.
- This salad is at its best when first tossed. Try to eat up leftovers within 1-2 days.
- For added protein (if serving as a main course), toss in 1 cup cooked shrimp, or 1 package deep-fried tofu cut into cubes.
- If you're planning to serve it at a party or take it to a potluck: Prepare all the ingredients and place them in separate containers in the refrigerator. Also prepare the dressing and keep in a jar or covered container in the refrigerator, then simply toss all together right before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|