This cucumber, tomato, and avocado salad is a crunchy, juicy and creamy, cooling summer favorite. Cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, mixed sweet herbs and red onion are bathed in a light balsamic vinaigrette. This recipe makes an exceptional summer side salad that is even better served on a bed of greens: spinach, romaine, arugula are all great options.
Cucumbers are very hydrating (over 95% water), cooling and anti-inflammatory; they contain abundant vitamins and minerals and are rich in silica, which is excellent for connective tissue and hair. Tomatoes are ultra-rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene, as well as numerous other antioxidants, all of which are excellent for cardiovascular health. The anti-inflammatory avocado is chock full of beneficial fats and a surprising array of carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lutein, as well as fiber, vitamin K, and B vitamins.
Basil is a potent antioxidant and is believed to have anti-cancer and anti-viral properties. Please make sure that you choose organic cucumbers, tomatoes, and herbs for this salad, as these are all on the dirty dozen list of heavily sprayed crops. Avocados and onions rank well on the clean 15, so while I always use organic produce, these are less critical. We love this salad with perfect roast chicken, and nice seafood dish, or as part of a salad platter.
- 4 Kirby (or 2 Persian or other seedless cucumbers, sliced in 1/4” rounds)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes (or 3 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges)
- 1 Haas Avocado (peeled, pitted and cubed)
- 1/2 small red onion (sliced very thin)
- 1 cup basil (or mint or cilantro leaves, or a combination of the three)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the sliced cucumber, tomato wedges, avocado, sliced onion, and herbs together in a stainless or glass bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with the sea salt and several grindings of pepper.
- Serve immediately, or lightly chilled.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|