This wet rub is heavy on the cumin and works really well on large cuts like T-Bones, Porterhouse, and Tomahawk steaks.
- 1/3 cup/80 mL cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1/3 cup/80 mL vegetable oil
- 3 to 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons/37.5 mL salt (sea or kosher)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL black pepper (coarse ground)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne pepper
- In a medium skillet, toast cumin seeds for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Make sure to move the pan around so that the seeds do not burn. Once the seeds have a deep brown (not charred) color and spice smells fragrant, remove from heat.
- Place toasted cumin into a coffee or spice grinder and grind into a powder. Place into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Form into a paste. This rub can be stored for 10 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Make this a day ahead before using on steaks to allow the flavors to bloom.
- To use, simply apply 1 to 2 tablespoons of mixture (depending on the size of cut) to steaks. Grill as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|