|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Curry powder and ginger team up to give this easy beef stew its unique flavor. The stew can be cooked on the stovetop or in a crockpot. The stew is made with both sweet potatoes and white potatoes along with a variety of vegetables and seasonings. It's versatile as well -- feel free to change it up with your family's favorite vegetables. The aroma is irresistible and the flavor is amazing!
There have been many positive comments and feedback. One person added about 3/4 cup of corn kernels to the vegetables and used more potatoes. This person also replaced the tomatoes with tomato juice. Another person replaced the lima beans with peas. One person called it the "ultimate recipe" for beef stew!
The preparation is very easy, and the stew takes only an hour to cook. Or see the instructions below the recipe for slow cooker directions.
- 1 pound lean stewing beef, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 small to medium potatoes, peeled cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup baby lima beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
Gather the ingredients.
In a plastic food storage bag, combine cubed beef, flour, curry powder, ginger, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Shake to coat the beef and set the bag aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion; saute until just tender.
Add the beef and all excess flour to the celery and onion mixture. Stir well. If necessary, add a little more oil. Continue cooking, stirring, until beef is lightly browned.
Add the beef broth; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add sweet potato, carrots, potatoes, and lima beans. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Slow Cooker Method
Follow the first three steps above. Once the beef is browned, transfer the saucepan mixture to the slow cooker crockery insert. Add the beef broth and the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Replace the sweet potato with an extra potato or 1 cup of butternut squash or 3/4 cup of corn kernels.
- Replace the lima beans with corn or peas.
- Add 1/2 cup of diced rutabaga along with the potatoes.