This simple curried chicken salad is an excellent choice for sandwiches, rolls, or a simple luncheon salad. I like dried cranberries in the salad with the apples, but raisins may be used, or try it with a few tablespoons of finely chopped pineapple instead of the apple.
Serve this flavorful salad on buns or bread or spoon it onto lettuce leaves or mixed greens for a wonderful luncheon salad.
I included directions for cooking the chicken breasts, but feel free to use store-bought fully-cooked roasted chicken strips or a cooked rotisserie chicken.
- 2 chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 1 Granny Smith apple, shredded
- 5 to 7 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the chicken breasts in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook the chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Chop the cooked chicken or shred it and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped celery, green onion, walnuts, cranberries, and apple. Toss to blend.
- In a small bowl, combine about 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise, the curry powder, and parsley, if using. Stir to blend well.
- Stir the dressing mixture into the chicken mixture. Blend well. Taste and add more mayonnaise and curry powder, as needed. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve the curried chicken salad on lettuce leaves or mixed salad greens, or use it as a sandwich filling.
Serves 3 to 4.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|