|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||21%|
|Total Carbohydrate 61g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Pasta and shrimp team up in this spectacular dish. The combination includes a complementary mixture of garlic, peanut butter, ginger, and curry powder. Lighten the dish with low-fat peanut butter and chicken stock, if you'd like. As special as the dish looks and tastes, it's surprisingly easy to prepare and cook. You'll have dinner on the table in less than 45 minutes. For even faster prep, use fresh pasta or quick-cooking angel hair.
The shrimp mixture is excellent with rice as well, or serve it with grits or polenta. For a low carb dish, replace the fettuccine with zucchini or squash noodles or cauliflower rice. Add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes or some chili garlic paste to give the dish some pleasant heat.
To dress the dish up a bit and add some texture, top the pasta with some fresh bean sprouts before you add the sauce. Or garnish the shrimp with chopped roasted peanuts along with the cilantro.
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp (large, raw)
- 8 ounces fettuccine (or linguine)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth (low sodium or unsalted)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 piece ginger root (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 1 1/2 cups green onions (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons cilantro (fresh chopped)
- Optional: chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
Gather the ingredients.
Peel the shrimp. With the tip of a small, sharp knife, make a shallow cut down the back of a shrimp. Pull the dark vein out or scrape it out with the knife. Rinse the shrimp under cold water. Repeat with the remaining shrimp. Set aside.
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water following the package directions.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chicken broth, peanut butter, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and ginger; process until smooth.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions, curry, and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the shrimp to the onions and cook for about 6 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque and pink. Add the peanut sauce and cook for 1 minute, or until hot.
Divide the hot drained pasta among four pasta bowls or plates. Spoon the shrimp mixture over the pasta and garnish with cilantro and chopped roasted peanuts, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
- Make homemade curry powder with this simple blend: toast 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon of cardamom seeds, and 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds. Grind the toasted seeds in a spice or coffee grinder and add 2 tablespoons of ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and a dash each of cinnamon and ground black pepper.