|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Curried rice with raisins is a delicious side dish that's equally at home alongside a roasted chicken or a steak. This easy dish is at once both sweet and savory, thanks to the raisins and the warming spices that typically comprise curry powder—think turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and black pepper. (Some blends include variants such as cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and/or garlic powder.)
Curry rice with raisins is not complicated. The rice is sauteed first with the onions, and then it's simmered with the broth and raisins. It's a mostly hands-off cooking process.
This dish is versatile in terms of what you can pair it with; it's great even with a couple of fried eggs. Try it with a roasted chicken or grilled lamb chops, or even roasted pork. It would also be delicious with some grilled shrimp tossed into the rice, for a main dish.
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth, or beef broth
1/4 cup raisins, golden or brown
1 teaspoon curry powder
Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and just beginning to turn yellow.
Add rice and stir to coat well with the butter. Add broth, raisins, and curry powder. Stir to combine ingredients.
Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- This recipe will work with either basmati or jasmine rice, and you can use white or brown versions of these types of rice.
- It's also not unusual to find versions of this dish with slivered almonds or chopped cashews (unsalted versions of both) tossed in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Frozen peas will work in this dish too, and they'll defrost quickly as they cook.
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper for some sweetness, or a finely chopped red chili pepper (seeds removed if desired) for some heat.
- Feel free to garnish this rice dish with a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, or the green parts of scallions, thinly sliced.
How to Store and Freeze Curried Rice with Raisins
- This curried rice dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you like, you can freeze leftover rice. Simply transfer to a zip-close freezer bag and press out as much air as possible before you seal it. The rice will keep up to six months.
- Use the rice directly from frozen in a hot skillet, or thaw in the refrigerator before reheating. You may need to add a little bit of water, especially if you reheat the rice in the microwave.