Curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk is a staple during the cooler months. The creamy, aromatic soup has a subtle sweetness from the roasted sweet potatoes. When making a sweet potato soup I always insist on first roasting the sweet potatoes to enhance their caramel flavor.
The spices used in this recipe are curry powder and garam masala. Garam masala is simply a blend of warm spices commonly used in Indian cuisine. If you're unable to find it at your local store, simply substitute it with extra curry powder.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion (brown, chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional: 4 slices of bread (fresh crusty bread for dipping)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C). Slice the sweet potatoes into 2 inch rounds. Place potatoes in a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with a little salt. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and celery and fry, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add garam masala and curry powder. Fry, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 30 seconds. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Scoop flesh out of sweet potatoes and discard the skins. Place potatoes into the saucepan and stir well to coat in spices. Add stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover. Simmer soup for 15 minutes. Remove soup from heat and cool.
- Ladle soup into a blender or food processor and blend in batches until smooth and creamy. Place soup back into saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and water and stir well to combine. Simmer soup over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Divide soup into bowls and serve with a slice of crusty bread for dipping.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||30 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|