These curry puffs are fabulous hot or cold and perfect for taking to parties or picnics as they travel well. You can also pop them into your lunchbox.
To turn these curry puffs into a meal, serve them with a tangy green salad and some ripe tomatoes drizzled with oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Some brinjal (eggplant chutney) or a spicy tomato relish would work really well, too.
If you're a chili addict you can add half to one teaspoon chili powder to this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 oz/300 grams beef (minced)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 large potato (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
- 2 sheets of puff pastry (frozen, store-bought)
- 1 beaten egg (or a few tablespoons milk)
- Preheat wok until it is smoking.
- Add one tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat up.
- Fry the onions over a medium heat for a couple of minutes then add curry powder and stir briskly.
- Cook for another minute until fragrant and then add beef.
- Break up the meat with your stirrer and then add potatoes, mixing in well.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes over a low flame.
- Turn off heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Take the sheets of puff pastry out of the freezer and leave them on the kitchen bench to defrost for about ten minuets.
- Take one piece of puff pastry and cut it into four squares.
- Put a generous tablespoonful of the meat mixture into the centre of each square and then brush the edges with egg or milk.
- Fold it over to make a triangle and press the edges completely shut./li>
- Use a fork to make a crimping pattern on the edges to further seal them shut.
- Brush with egg or milk mixture.
- Repeat until you have used up all of the filling.
- Place on baking trays and cook in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on tray for one minute and then remove to racks to cool.
- Wait five minutes before eating if you can.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|