|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Czechoslovakian braised cabbage recipe - dusene zeli - is easy to prepare, but it takes about 1 hour to braise properly. Still, the ingredients are few and simple and the dish makes a great accompaniment to many meat offerings. This recipe is a good candidate for a slow cooker.
For a shortcut, use pre-shredded cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or butter or olive oil)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 slices bacon (chopped 1/4 inch)
- 3 pounds cabbage (1 head, white or green, cored and shredded)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or more to taste)
- Black pepper to taste (freshly ground)
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat bacon fat and saute onions 8-10 minutes or until lightly colored. Stir in bacon and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cabbage and caraway seeds, mixing well.
Cover and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Add vinegar, water, salt, sugar, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover tightly and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is done to your liking. Add water if necessary.