This recipe for Czech / Slovak stuffed cabbage or holubky uses ground beef and pork, rice, tomato soup, undrained sauerkraut, and is cooked in a pressure cooker, so it's fast. And if you use this quick tip for easily removing cabbage leaves, it's even faster. Here are more stuffed cabbage recipes.
Here is a larger photo of pressure-cooker stuffed cabbage.
- 1 large whole head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 can (14-ounce) sauerkraut (undrained)
- 1 can (10.75-ounce) tomato soup
- 1 1/2 tomato-soup cans of water
- Freeze cabbage head. Thaw cabbage completely. Peel off leaves and use a paring knife to cut away the thick center stem from each leaf without cutting all the way through. Set aside. See these step-by-step instructions for making stuffed cabbage.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chuck, ground pork, rice, salt, and pepper, mixing well. Fill leaves with a good amount of meat mixture and roll. Do not overfill. Cut up all leftover cabbage leaves and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the undrained sauerkraut, tomato soup, and 1 1/2 cans water. Place half of this mixture into the bottom of a pressure cooker. Place the cabbage rolls on top followed by any cut-up leftover cabbage leaves and remaining sauerkraut-tomato soup mixture.
- Place top on the pressure cooker with pressure weight set at 10 pounds. Turn on burner and build pressure to 10 pounds. After pressure is reached with a continuous steam release, lower the heat until steam releases 3 to 4 times a minute. Process for 8 minutes. Turn off burner and wait until all pressure is released.
- When safe to open, test cabbage and meat for doneness. If not done to your liking, process for up to 5 minutes more.
- Stuffed cabbage can be eaten immediately or cooled and refrigerated or frozen, topping off with cooking liquid. Reheat in oven, microwave, or on top of the stove.
Note: Since they can be eaten hot or at room temperature, mini cabbage rolls make great appetizers. Just spear them with a frilled toothpick and you're good to go!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|