This berry-licious cobbler is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, but it's loaded with so many good things that it doesn't taste like it's missing anything! This cobbler is very versatile, so feel free to use whatever fresh berries you have on hand.
- For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 bags raspberries (frozen; 16 ounces each)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh)
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh, stemmed and chopped)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the Topping:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (such as King Arthur's Multi-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons margarine (cold)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or soy milk or another non-dairy milk alternative)
- Optional: vanilla Dairy-Free Ice Cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9" pie plate with dairy-free gluten-free soy margarine and set aside.
2. Prepare the filling. In a small cup, mix together the orange juice and cornstarch until well mixed. Set aside. Place the raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture, stirring well to combine.
Stirring occasionally, cook the filling until the liquid is slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared pie plate.
3. Prepare the topping. In a food processor, combine the gluten-free flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, pulsing until well mixed. Add the soy margarine and process until the mixture is crumbly. With the machine still running, add the almond milk or soy milk gradually until the mixture just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (You may need more or less almond milk or soy-milk--the objective is to have a dough that just holds together.)*
4. Assemble the cobbler. Using your hands, pull and flatten pieces of dough between your fingers and gently lay these on top of the filling, overlapping and covering as much of the filling’s surface as possible. (The mixture will expand, so it is okay if not all of the topping is covered.) Once all of the dough has been used, sprinkle the topping lightly with sugar. Place in the oven over a baking sheet to catch any drippings that may bubble over. Bake until puffed up and slightly golden (gluten-free cobblers will not brown like traditional cobblers), about 40-50 minutes. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold with a scoop of your favorite dairy-free ice cream if desired.
*If you do not have a food processor, simply mix the ingredients for the topping by hand and use your fingers or a pastry cutter to cut in the margarine until the mixture is crumbly. Add the dairy-free milk gradually until the mixture just holds together.
**This recipe is suitable for dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, and gluten-free and wheat-free diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients (or gluten, egg, or wheat ingredients, if these apply to you).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|