These baked cake doughnuts are so much fun to make and, best of all, they're dairy-free.
While you can top them with just a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar, they look so much more appealing if they are dressed up with vanilla frosting and whatever color sprinkles or edible decorations you like.
This is a terrific project to attempt with the kids because no hot frying oil is involved and they're just plain fun to make and eat.
- For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup soy margarine (or any dairy-free butter substitute)
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (vanilla-flavored or any dairy-free milk substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Doughnuts:
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar (white)
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine (softened)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: sprinkles or other edible cake decorations
Make the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a medium-sized mixing bowl if using a hand mixer), beat /2 cup dairy-free soy margarine until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer speed down to low, and gradually add half of the confectioners' sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, followed by the rest of the confectioners' sugar.
- Once most of the confectioners' sugar is mixed in, turn the mixer speed up to medium and then high speed, beating until the mixture is smooth and creamy for about 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Let it sit at room temperature until ready to use.
Make the Doughnuts
- Heat the oven to 325 F. Lightly oil a 12-doughnut doughnut pan or 12-cup mini tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat together the white sugar with 2 tablespoons softened soy margarine until combined.
- Add the eggs and beat until just combined, followed by 3/4 cup coconut milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until combined.
- Fill each doughnut cup about 3/4 full. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the doughnuts are lightly golden. Allow the doughnuts to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- While the doughnuts are cooling for 10 minutes, warm the frosting in a microwave in 10- to 20-second bursts until it is runny.
- Remove the doughnuts from the pan, dip each in the warm icing, followed by the sprinkles of your choice.
- Serve at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|