|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 62g||79%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||97%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 8mg||40%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Beef stroganoff is a classic Russian entrée that traditionally combines cuts of steak with a sour cream sauce and mushrooms. Today, beef stroganoff is usually served over rice or egg noodles, as it is in this dairy-free take on the traditional recipe. Use whatever cuts of steak you prefer.
Enjoy this dish with a tossed green salad or some steamed green beans for a delicious meal.
20 to 24 ounces beef tenderloin steaks
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for sprinkling
2 cups button or crimini mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef broth
2/3 cup soy yogurt
1/3 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
8 ounces wide egg noodles
Chopped parsley, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Rub the steaks with the pepper and salt.
In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Cook the steaks, flipping once, until cooked as desired, about 3 to 6 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and sauté the mushrooms until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
Boil a pot of water, add the noodles, and cook until just tender.
Drain the noodles and set aside.
In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until combined.
Add the beef broth, soy yogurt, soy milk, and Dijon mustard, stirring until well combined.
Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, and add salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, portion the noodles on individual serving plates, tossing with oil and parsley. Place the steaks and mushrooms on top of the noodles and pour the sauce over the dish. Enjoy.
- Buying small tenderloin steaks will save you time as they won't need to be cut. You can also buy two large steaks and divide them yourself.
- Cut against the grain of the meat to keep it juicy.
- Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
- Instead of egg noodles, you can serve the stroganoff over rice, potatoes, or zucchini noodles.
- If sirloin steak is not an option, ground beef works just the same. If you're low on beef, bulk it up with veggies like sliced zucchini.
- Other types of dairy-free milk that you can use include cashew cream, coconut milk, almond milk, and rice milk.