Nothing says celebration quite like a cake. From birthday cakes to fruitcakes to cheesecakes, a cake is one dessert that is created to make any event just a little more special and, although most traditional cake recipes call for tons of dairy ingredients, this list contains dairy-free recipes for all kinds of classic cakes. Browse through to find your favorite.
01 of 08
Birthdays are special occasions, which is why a cake is the dessert for such festivities. Select a dairy-free frosting to top it off.
02 of 08
Bundt cakes are perfect for busy home cooks. They're impressive desserts that go well with just about anything, from your morning coffee to your afternoon tea, and they're so beautiful. Just whip up the batter, pour it in the pan, and top it off with a delicious glaze after it cools.
Although most traditional Bundt cakes call for a lot of butter and sometimes sour cream and milk as well, here are some dairy-free recipes that will fool even the most devout bundt cake gourmand:
- Dairy-Free Banana Bundt Cake Recipe: This is like banana bread but in Bundt cake form. You can make it with or without nuts.
- Vegan and Dairy-Free Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe: This cake doesn't taste like it lacks anything, although it has no dairy or eggs. It's full of maple-cinnamon flavor and you can ice it with vegan caramel sauce or vegan ganache.
03 of 08
It's true: Nothing about a traditional cheesecake is dairy-free or vegan, from the cream cheese to the sour cream to the eggs to the butter in the crust.
For those of us who love cheesecake but can't do the dairy due to allergies or dietary preference, there are ways to make a cheeseless and eggless cheesecake delicious:
04 of 08
Who doesn't love a good chocolate cake? Easily the most popular flavor, chocolate cake is the go-to option for a party because you know it's a crowd-pleaser. Besides the recipes included above, here are just a few rich, decadent favorites that are conveniently dairy-free:
Continue to 5 of 8 below.
- Moist Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe: Enjoy this recipe made with dairy-free sour cream and strong brewed coffee. It's a delight you can coat with frosting or ganache.
- Dairy-Free Flourless Chocolate Cake: For your gluten-free friends, you can make this delight that also is dairy-free. It has only six ingredients.
- Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe: This recipe uses silken tofu instead of eggs and butter. Make a two-layer cake.
05 of 08
Cupcakes have made a comeback in the culinary world in recent years, and they are now seen in high-end cooking circles as well as at kids' birthday parties and school events. Easy to transport and fun to eat, these dairy-free cupcake recipes are great for any occasion that needs just a little extra sweet something:
06 of 08
Dairy-Free Spice Cakes and Carrot Cake Recipes
Carrot cakes, spice cakes, and coffee cakes are terrific year-round and especially during fall and spring. Apple cakes and coffee cakes are lovely additions to tea times and holidays during the fall months, and no springtime or Easter celebration is complete without a layered carrot cake. These recipes are sure to please:
07 of 08
Dairy-Free White and Yellow Cake Recipes
Great for weddings, birthdays, showers, and everyday, white cakes, and yellow cakes are bright and fun, and they're easy to decorate any way you like! Here are some dairy-free favorites:
- Dairy-Free Angel Food Cake Recipe: This classic is naturally dairy-free and low-fat. You also can turn the recipe into cupcakes.
- Dairy-Free Lemon Cake Recipe: It's glorious what the juice and zest of one lemon can do in this basic cake.
- Dairy-Free White Cake Recipe: If you leave out egg yolks, you can have a beautiful white cake. Here's how to make it dairy-free (but not vegan).
08 of 08
Vegan Cake Recipes
While baking dairy-free can present a challenge to many new bakers, baking without eggs for dairy-free-egg-free and vegan diets presents an added challenge, but that doesn't mean that there aren't many ways to make delicious vegan cakes!
Besides those listed above, here are just a few examples of tasty dairy-free-egg-free cake creations that everyone, vegan or not, will love: