This recipe stands in wonderfully for cheese in pasta, vegetable and potato dishes, and, with its mild and creamy flavor, it is an ideal sauce for meals for children.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder
- 1 cup dairy-free soy milk (use one that has a thickening agent added, like Silk)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Water
- 3 tablespoons Tahini (also called sesame paste)
- Salt, to taste
- Combine nutritional yeast, flour and vegetable broth powder in a small saucepan, mixing together until combined.
- Add soy milk, water, and tahini, and turn on heat to medium-low, mixing until all the powder is dissolved and the sauce is smooth. Heat until just thickened and warm, about 2-3 minutes. (If there is still a taste of flour in the sauce, cook for an addition 1-2 minutes over very low heat, adding 1 tablespoon of water if necessary)
- Turn off heat and add salt to taste.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|