Traditional french toast recipes call for milk or cream and usually fry the toast in butter. This recipe has been revamped for dairy-free and lactose-free diets with vanilla soy milk (or almond or rice milk). The result is not only a healthier version of the breakfast staple but a cleaner taste. For the best results, I like to use thick slices of dairy-free sourdough bread, preferably day-old.
Ingredient Substitutions and Cooking Tips
French toast is one of the most versatile breakfasts around. That means you don't have to settle for the simplicity of bread and syrup. Here are five fresh ways to top french toast:
- Berries and Vegan Cream - Raw cashew cream is a great topping on its own, but add berries and the taste brightens up the dish. Strawberries and blueberries work best. To use blackberries add them to the maple syrup over medium-heat for 5 minutes.
- Pineapple Coconut Cream - Vegan coconut whipped cream topped with toasted coconut flakes and crushed pineapple will give your french toast Hawaiian vibes. Mix a 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple to the vegan whipped cream. Add a dollop atop your french toast and sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top.
- Apple and Dairy-Free Caramel - Boil coconut milk fat and brown sugar over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and maple syrup. Top with chopped walnuts and have at it.
- Banana and Vegan Chocolate - Cocoa butter, sea salt, cacao powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup combine for a vegan chocolate that rivals any dairy-laden version. If you don't know how to make vegan chocolate, use the double boiler method. Add sliced banana and a drizzle of your homemade vegan chocolate and your french toast is on its way to breakfast greatness.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk (vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- Pinch of salt
- 6 thick slices bread (dairy-free sourdough)
- For serving (optional):
- Pure maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh fruit
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla soy milk, ground cinnamon and salt. Place the slices of bread in a single layer in a shallow casserole dish, and pour the egg mixture evenly over the slices. Let the slices soak for 10 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Cook the toast until golden brown, flipping half-way through, until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve warm with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|