|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Traditional french toast recipes call for milk or cream and usually fry the toast in butter. This recipe has been revamped for dairy-free and lactose-free diets with vanilla soy milk (or almond or rice milk). The result is not only a healthier version of the breakfast staple but a cleaner taste.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla soy milk, ground cinnamon, and salt. Place the slices of bread in a single layer in a shallow casserole dish, and pour the egg mixture evenly over the slices. Let the slices soak for 10 minutes, flipping half-way through.
Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Cook the toast until golden brown, flipping half-way through, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve warm with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit, if desired.
- For the best results, use thick slices of dairy-free sourdough bread, preferably day-old. Fresh bread generally results in a soggy finished product.
- For a richer flavor, use only egg yolks. Separate the eggs and discard or save the whites for another recipe.
- Pineapple Coconut Cream: Mix a 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple to the vegan whipped cream. Add a dollop atop your french toast and sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes on top.
- Apple and Dairy-Free Caramel: Boil coconut milk fat and brown sugar over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt, and maple syrup. Top with chopped walnuts.
- Banana and Vegan Chocolate: Cocoa butter, sea salt, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and maple syrup combine for a vegan chocolate that rivals any dairy-laden version. If you don't know how to make vegan chocolate, use the double boiler method. Add sliced banana and a drizzle of your homemade vegan chocolate to your french toast.