|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
'There's no summer treat more quintessential than ice cream. Rich, sweet, and filling, it's a go-to for warmer weather when people want a frozen dessert. However, it can be hard to digest for many people, especially those who don't eat dairy can't enjoy it, either.
For an ice cream that's plant-based but also free of soy, we love this version made with coconut milk. The simple base of canned coconut milk makes this a recipe you can pull together from pantry staples alone, with no fresh ingredients needed. Plus, the use of a liquid sweetener helps prevent over-freezing. It's a vegan dessert even those who are faithful to dairy ice cream will enjoy.
1 (13.5 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
1/2 cup liquid sweetener, such as maple syrup or allulose syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Gather the ingredients. If your ice cream maker has a bowl that needs chilling, ensure it is chilled.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla, and salt until ingredients are fully incorporated.
Chill for one hour in the refrigerator.
Process the mixture in your ice cream maker for 25 minutes, or follow your ice cream maker instructions for churning.
Pour the mixture into a freezer safe container with a lid, and freeze for 8 hours or longer before serving.
An ice cream maker does help, but if you are not using an ice cream maker, the mixture for the ice cream may be stored in an air-tight container and placed in a freezer until it solidifies. The mixture must be mixed periodically while it is freezing.
- Add the scrapings of one vanilla bean to ingredients
- Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to ingredients; whisk well to incorporate
- Add 1/4 cup strawberry sauce to ingredients
- Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract to ingredients
- Add 1/3 cup chocolate chips to ice cream once nearly frozen in maker
- Add 1/2 teaspoon pistachio extract to ingredients; add 1/4 cup chopped pistachios to ice cream once nearly frozen
- Add 1/4 cup peanut butter to ingredients, then blend instead of mixing in a bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons strongly brewed espresso to ingredients
How to Store
- Store any ice cream not eaten immediately in a freezer-safe container with a lid.
- To eat leftovers, let thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- To make thawing easier, store ice cream in individually-sized plastic containers or mason jars, and thaw one serving at a time.
Options For Best Texture
If you like an ice cream that stays extra soft in the freezer, try one of these additives. Combine them with the other ingredients when preparing the ice cream mixture.