This cake is a rich, sweet treat that is absolutely phenomenal with a light icing like this vanilla icing or another dairy-free frosting of your choice.
Makes one 2-layer cake
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon almond milk (or soymilk or rice milk)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoon soy margarine (dairy-free, melted)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil one 9” cake pan. Lightly flour the pan, tapping out the excess flour, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow in color. Add the non-dairy milk alternative of your choice, olive oil, melted soy margarine, lemon juice, and zest, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Immediately turn the cake out onto a wire cooling rack and allow the cake to cool, right-side up, completely before icing with a dairy-free frosting of your choice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||184 g|
|Saturated Fat||33 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||109 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|