Although this dough can be made by hand with a pastry blender, to achieve the flakiest pie dough, it is really best to use a food processor. When making pie and tart doughs, it is important to keep all of your ingredients as cold as possible and to handle the dough as little as possible. This dough is great for making dairy-free recipes for classics like this dairy-free pumpkin pie.
Makes enough 1 double-crust 9" pie or 2 single crust 9" pie crusts.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup soy margarine (cold)
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese (such as Tofutti)
- 1/3 cup water (ice cold; more if needed)
- In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the soy margarine and dairy-free cream cheese and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. While the machine is still running, gradually add the water until the dough just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half, wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before using, or up to overnight.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|