|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 56g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegan apple crisp is a favorite for casual family dinners as well as the holidays because it is not only dairy-free and egg-free, but it's also super easy to prepare. No matter the dietary restrictions, everyone can enjoy this comforting dessert of cinnamon-spiced apples crowned with a crispy oat and nut topping. And it's delicious served hot, room temperature, or cold, so you can make this apple crisp ahead of time. Although perfect as is, feel free to top with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream or vegan whipped cream.
- For the Filling:
- 10 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 5 large apples)
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the Topping:
- 2 cups quick oats (also known as 1-minute oats)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup dairy-free soy margarine (melted)
- Garnish: vegan ice cream or whipped cream
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
Make the Filling
In a large mixing bowl, toss the apple pieces with the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, water, and lemon juice until evenly coated.
Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Make the Topping
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the oats, flour, sugars, chopped pecans, baking powder, and baking soda until well-combined. Add the melted soy margarine, mixing until the mixture is consistent.
Using your hands, crumble the topping over the apple mixture.
Bake the Apple Crisp
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold, with dairy-free vanilla ice cream or vegan whipped cream, if desired.
For a quicker preparation, you can leave the skins on the apples, but this recipe truly benefits from peeling them first.
5 Ways to Cook and Serve
- In muffin tins: Cooking this vegan apple crisp in muffin tins will cut down the cooking time and create perfectly portioned desserts. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- In ramekins: This recipe should make enough to fill 6 to 8 standard-sized ramekins. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- In coffee mugs: Once baked, serve the apple crisp in coffee or latte mugs for a cozy, individual presentation.
- In martini glasses: Fill glasses with the apple crisp and top with a dollop of vegan whipped cream.
- In parfaits: Take your apple crisp to another level by serving it in layers with vanilla ice cream in a parfait-style dessert. This method can also help you stretch the apple crisp mixture and incorporate other add-ins.