|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Homemade waffles are comfort food for every time of the year. Cheap and easy to make, they are familiar to many Americans. Consider this dairy-free version for special brunches or as quick weekday breakfasts before the morning commute.
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups almond milk. or soy milk, warmed
5 tablespoons soy margarine, melted
1 tablespoon unweetened plain soy yogurt
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat a waffle iron.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs with the almond milk, melted soy margarine, and soy yogurt until well combined.
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until just combined.
Using about 1/3 cup batter at a time, ladle the batter into the preheated waffle iron, pushing the batter to the edges of the iron.
Cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the iron is no longer steaming.
Serve warm with your choice of toppings.
- Feel free to double this recipe and freeze the leftovers for rushed mornings.
- Some waffle irons have alarms that go off when the waffle is perfectly cooked; if you're in the market for a waffle iron, look for this feature.
- If you are on a low-sodium diet it's fine to use salt substitute or lessen the amount of salt used in the recipe.
- Cut your waffle into fours and add strips of chicken for an at-home version of chicken and waffles.
- To transform a waffle into a Mexican-food favorite lose the cinnamon and add spices: cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Add minced jalapeno, leaving the seeds in if you like heat or omitting them if you want to keep it mild. Add two eggs over-easy on top, dairy-free shredded cheese of your choice and enjoy.
- Add a thin slice of ham and cheese between layers of waffle batter for a quick panini-like sandwich.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs poses a risk of foodborne illness.