Few desserts signal celebration quite like cake. This basic dairy-free white cake recipe is perfect for birthday cakes, either served as two single layer cakes or as a layer cake with dairy-free frosting of your choice.
In response to the one-star reviewer (this is not a one-star recipe!): Actually, EGGS ARE NOT DAIRY ingredients! If you're looking for a dairy-free egg-free recipe, try browsing through vegan cake recipes, not dairy-free ones, like these Vegan Desserts Recipes or these Vegan Cupcake Recipes. Good luck and happy baking!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups soy margarine (dairy-free)
- 2 ¼ cups sugar (granulated)
- ¾ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 8 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease or oil 2 9” round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper and, once in place, lightly grease or oil the paper. Dust the parchment and the sides of the pan lightly with flour and tap the sides of the pan to shake out the excess. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the soy margarine and 2 cups of the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla, beating well to combine. With the mixer on a low speed setting, add the dry ingredients in several additions, alternating with the almond milk until all of the dry ingredients and almond milk have been added. Beat until the mixture is just combined and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (be sure to clean and dry the beaters before using) or in the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the egg whites until forming very soft, foamy peaks, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup sugar, and beat until forming stiff, glossy peaks, about 4 minutes more. In three additions, add the egg whites to the flour mixture, gradually folding in the white with a spatula until combined.
- Smooth the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and allow them to cool for about 15-20 minutes before inverting the cakes onto the rack and removing the parchment. Turn the cakes back over to cool completely before assembling into a layer cake or frosting with dairy-free frosting of your choice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|