This frosting is, quite literally, the icing on the cake! It is really important to make sure that your soy margarine is cold when you start mixing and that you do not add the vinegar and vanilla until the powdered sugar and margarine are well combined. If the soy margarine is too warm or the vinegar is added at the beginning of mixing, the margarine will "separate," and you'll have less a frosting and more a soupy sloppy sweet sauce. This recipe is really simple to make; you just have to follow it!
Try using this frosting with dairy-free cakes for birthdays, parties or just because!
- 1 ¾ cups sugar (confectioners)
- 6 Tbsp. dairy-free soy margarine (such as Willow Run)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer on low speed, cream the powdered sugar with the soy margarine, adjusting the speed up to high once the powdered sugar is incorporated into the margarine.
- Add the cider vinegar and vanilla extract, and continue to mix on high speed until frosting holds stiff peaks.
- Store in a covered dish or container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|