Dan Bing is one of very popular Taiwanese breakfast dish. 99% of Breakfast café, restaurant or vendor in Taiwan sell dan bing in their shop. I have to admit I came out this recipe from multiple different recipes online. This dan bing was a new things for me to cook. I ate dan bing probably thousands times in my life but I have never made dan bing in my life before. I was surprise about how easy and quick to make dan bing.
Below are some of the cooking tips to share for you:
- Please don’t use any extra flour when you try to flatten the dough because extra flour will make your dan bing too hard after cooked.
- You can make dan bing dough the night before and store it in the fridge. Roll it and flattened it in the morning. That’s totally fine.
- I saw many chefs and bloggers put the dan bing dough into a plastic bag or put it in between two layers of cling film and flattened it. I was doing the same way and then I found out it’s so difficult to take the flattened dan bing out. In the end, I was end out waste couple ball of the dan bing dough.
Because you can’t use any extra flour to stop the dough sticky to the worktop and your hands. So I brush some cooking oil on the worktop and on the top of the dough. Then I flattened the dough and because the oil on the worktop so it’s very easy to separate the dough from the worktop. I discovered this tip when I remember when I was young I saw the chef in the Taiwanese breakfast café use the same way. The result was satisfactory.
- Please don’t season the egg. Because this dan bing usually eat with soy sauce or thick soy sauce.
- Don’t put too much of spring onion in the dan bing dough. Because too much spring onion in the dan bing dough might easily to burn as we have to cook dan bing dough first then cook with eggs and other ingredients after. So if you want to put more spring onion in the dan bing I would recommend you to put it in the egg.
- You can make so many different flavours of dan bing! I only demonstrated 1 basic flavour of dan bing and ham and cheese flavour. But you can also put sweet corn, tuna, bacon, Frankfurter, tomato…etc
- How to store the dan bing? You flattened the dan bing first then you put a sheet of parchment paper each on the top and bottom of the dan bing. Then you stack them together and cling film it. When you want to cook it for breakfast then you just need to take it out and pan fry them with some oil in the medium-low heat until both side are turning to nice golden colour. You don’t need to defrost the dan bing before cooking.
I discovered these tips when I making dan bing for the first time in my life and I hope these tips makes much easier for you to try to make your own dan bing at home.
- 280 grams/10 ounces flour
- 140 grams/5 ounces bread flour
- 11 1/4 fluid ounces water (149 F)
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (demerara or caster)
- 12 eggs (1 egg to 1 dan bing)
- 2 to 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 24 slices ham (I use 2 slices ham to 1 dan bing; use more or less if desired)
- Mix plain flour, bread flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour the 65degree C water into the step 1 and stirring with a fork or chopsticks at the same time.
- After the flour and the water totally combined together. Use both of your hand to knead the dough for 3-5 minutes and make it into a ball. Then leave it in the mixing bowl and cover couple sheets of cling films on top. Leave it for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, divided the dough into 70g small balls.
- Beat an egg and leave it aside.
- Heat up a thin layer of oil in the frying pan with lowest to medium fire.
- Brush a thin layer of oil on the worktop. Then place your small ball of dough on top and brush a thin layer of oil on the top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to flattened the dough to as thin as possible.
- Fry the step 7 in the frying pan and make sure both side are slight golden colour.
- Use the spatula to left the step 8 crepe up and pour the egg in and put the crepe on top.
- If you make basic Dan bing then all you need to do is flip the dan bing again, which is egg side on top and you can just use spatula to roll it, then that’s ready to serve. Once it’s cool down a little bit then slice it before serve. You can serve this dan bing with soy sauce or thick soy sauce.
- If you want to make ham and cheese flavour of dan bing then you need to flip it and became egg side on top and put ham in the middle and then sprinkle grated cheese on top of ham. Then roll it with spatula. Once the dan bing is cool down a little bit then slice it before serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|