|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Oats and dates give this moist quick bread fabulous flavor and texture, and it takes very little time to mix and bake.
While the date bread doesn't call for nuts, feel free to add some chopped pecans or walnuts if you like. Chop whole dates or use a quick and convenient package of pre-chopped dates.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 1 package (8 ounces) dates (chopped)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Steps to Make It
Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl; add sugar. Stir or whisk to blend thoroughly.
Add the oats and dates to the dry mixture and stir to blend.
In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg with milk. Stir in melted butter and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened.
Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
Put the quick bread in the preheated oven immediately and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
Let the loaf cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan.
Once the loaf has cooled, wrap and store overnight for best flavor.
Slice the date bread and serve with butter, cream cheese, or a flavored spread.
- Quick bread freezes beautifully. Consider making two loaves. Enjoy one now and freeze the second loaf. Double wrap quick bread and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Or freeze individual slices. Quick bread makes a delicious snack or morning breakfast bread.
- Because of the quick rising action of the batter, be sure to have pans greased and the oven preheated so you can bake it immediately after turning the batter into the pan.