Oats and dates give this moist quick bread fabulous flavor and texture, and it takes very little time to mix and bake.
While the date bread doesn't call for nuts, feel free to add some chopped pecans or walnuts if you like. Chop whole dates or use a quick and convenient package of pre-chopped dates.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 1/4 ounces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 1 package (8 ounces) dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl; add sugar. Stir or whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Add the oats and dates to the dry mixture and stir to blend.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg with milk; stir in melted butter and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Put the quick bread in the preheated oven immediately and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Let the loaf cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan.
- Once the loaf has cooled, wrap and store overnight for best flavor.
- Slice the date bread and serve with butter, cream cheese, or a flavored spread.
*May omit baking powder and salt if using self-rising flour.
- Quick bread freezes beautifully. Consider making two loaves. Enjoy one now and freeze the second loaf. Double wrap quick bread and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Or freeze individual slices. Quick bread makes a delicious snack or morning breakfast bread.
- Because of the quick rising action of the batter, be sure to have pans greased and the oven preheated so you can bake it immediately after turning the batter into the pan.
- Always mix the dry ingredients thoroughly before mixing them with the wet ingredients.
- To jazz up just about any quick bread, top the batter with oats, chopped nuts or sunflower seeds, cinnamon sugar, or coconut just before it goes into the oven.
- A cracked top on baked quick bread is produced by the leavening. It's normal.
- If your quick bread turns out very dry, poke holes in it with a skewer and drizzle with a liqueur, a little fruit juice, or a complementary flavored simple syrup.
"This is the first recipe I've made off of the Internet, and I am really happy with it......my son loves it, and keeps asking for more." - Cara
"I tried this date loaf recipe this morning and highly recommend it. It was quick and easy to make and tastes great. " - Charlotte
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|