This easy quick bread gets its moisture and flavor from the finely chopped apples. Add dates to the bread or make it with another kind of dried fruit. Dried cranberries or raisins are excellent in this bread, or try it with chopped dried cherries or apricots.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples finely; measure 1 1/2 cups.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar; beat in eggs.
- Beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fold the dates and chopped apple into the batter. The batter will be quite stiff.
- Spread the batter in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 8 to 10 servings.
Top the bread with a combination of 1/4 cup of chopped pecans mixed with a tablespoon of cinnamon sugar before it goes into the oven..