This moist date nut bread makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch bread. The bread may be made with chopped walnuts or pecans.
This bread freezes well, too. Try spreading cream cheese between two thin slices and freeze the "sandwiches" to enjoy later. Or spread the bread with orange cream cheese (see variations) or an orange-flavored butter.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (10 1/4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Pour the boiling water over the chopped dates in a medium bowl; add the butter and set aside.
- With a mixer, beat sugars and egg until light.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the sugar mixture, alternating with the date and water mixture. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Tips and Variations
Orange Cream Cheese Spread: In a mixing bowl, beat 4 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1 1/2 teaspoons of finely grated orange zest, 3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar, and a few drops of vanilla.
For more quick breads, see this list of our favorite quick breads, including pineapple, zucchini, pumpkin, and apple breads.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|