These banana fritters are deep fried to perfection. Serve them with syrup or simply dust with powdered sugar.
The fritter batter is made with mashed bananas and a small amount of lemon juice. Feel free to add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for flavor, or roll the fritters in a mixture of cinnamon and granulated sugar after they're cooked and drained.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 bananas (ripe, mashed and sprinkled with the lemon juice to keep from discoloring)
- 3 to 4 cups oil (or amount needed for deep frying)
- Cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar
- Optional: syrup of your choice
- If you will need to keep batches of fritters warm, heat the oven to 200 F.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar and salt into a bowl. Mix to blend thoroughly.
- Whisk together the milk and egg. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the mashed bananas. If the batter seems too thick add a little milk, and if batter seems too thin, add extra flour. It should be thick enough to mound up on a spoon.
- Heat deep fryer to 370 F or put about 2 inches of oil in a deep heavy saucepan and use a deep fryer thermometer to check the temperature.
- When a fritter will cook in 5 minutes, the oil is ready. Drop by spoonfuls in small batches.
- Turn the fritters as they brown.When golden brown, remove to paper towels with a slotted metal spoon.
- Keep warm in the preheated oven while you fry subsequent batches, if desired. Before serving sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with syrup, if desired.
You might also like:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|