Fried clams are easy and delicious to make at home with or without a deep fryer. The cracker crumb coating is seasoned with herbs and a touch of chipotle chile pepper for kick. Serve as an or entree.
- 2 cups saltine crackers (finely crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 10-ounce can whole baby clams (drained, or fresh clams, shucked)
- 3 to 4 cups peanut oil (for frying)
Preheat deep fryer to 375 F or heat 3 inches of oil in a Dutch oven.
Measure cracker crumbs, poultry seasoning, salt, chipotle pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and dill weed into a large zip-top bag. Toss to combine. Set aside.
Stir the clams into the beaten eggs. Using a slotted spoon, remove a few clams at a time and place in the bag of herbed cracker crumbs. Shake to coat, remove clams, and place on a platter. Repeat until all clams are coated.
Fry clams in batches, about 30 seconds, until golden brown. Take care not to crowd the clams while frying. Drain on paper towels and serve hot as an appetizer or entree.