Looking for a quick and easy alternative to your everyday staples? Check out these Moroccan-spiced deep-fried potatoes are easy to make and a delicious change from French fries or baked potatoes.
- 2.2 pounds/1 kg. potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or oregano)
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature or melted)
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil (or amount needed for frying, or other neutral oil like canola)
Peel the potatoes, and cut them into cubes 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Wash the cut potatoes, and let them drain.
In a small bowl, mix together the salt, paprika, white pepper, black pepper, thyme or oregano, and garlic powder and set aside.
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 F (180 C).
Pat the potato cubes with paper towels to remove excess moisture and add them to the deep fryer. Fry for about 15 minutes or until deep golden and tender.
Remove from the oil and drain.
Toss the cooked potatoes with the butter and reserved spice mixture. Serve immediately.