This deep-fried summer squash is easy to fix and tastes great.
The squash is sliced and then it's battered with egg and flour and deep fried to golden brown perfection.
This is an excellent snack or side dish. Serve it with a marinara sauce or ranch-style dressing for dipping.
- Heat about 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan to 360 F. Or use an electric deep fryer.
- Combine eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl and whisk to blend.
- Put the flour in a wide, shallow bowl or plate.
- Dip squash in the egg batter and then dredge the slices in flour until well coated.
- Fry in batches in deep hot fat, about 360 F, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Season the fried squash slices with salt and pepper or a Creole or seasoned salt blend.
Tips for Deep-Frying
- Cut food as uniformly as possible so pieces will cook evenly. If too thick, the inside might still be raw when the outside is done.
- If oil reaches its smoking point and you continue heating, it could ignite. If this happens, turn off the heat or unplug the unit and immediately put a metal lid over the pot to smother the flames. Always keep a metal lid nearby just in case, and never use water on a grease fire!
- Use metal utensils; plastic will melt.
- Use a small wire basket or slotted metal spoon to lower food into the fryer and to lift it out.
- Keep batches small enough so the food does not touch. Small batches also ensure that the oil temperature comes back up to temperature more quickly. After removing a batch of food, wait for the oil to come back to temperature before adding more food.
- Drain the fried food on paper towels or on a rack immediately after removing from the hot oil.
- To keep food hot while cooking subsequent batches, line a baking sheet with paper towels and preheat the oven to 200 F. Transfer the fried food to the lined baking sheet in the oven.
- Keep oil used for frying fish separated from oil used for other foods.
- Filter cooled used cooking oil and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|