If you want to experiment with deep fried turkey this is a great recipe to start out with. You won't need all the oil or commitment for a 3 or 4-pound turkey breast, but will still have a great fried turkey. On the plus side, you can prepare this dish any time of the year and not only for special occasions like Thanksgiving. However, this dish is also perfect for small gatherings during the Holidays.
- Place the turkey breast in the pot you are going to fry it in. Add enough water to cover the breast with about 3 inches to spare. Remove the breast and measure the water. This is how much oil you will need.
- Dump out water and dry the pan well with paper towels. Make sure no water remains as this will cause a lot of problems when you heat the oil.
- Pat dry the trust breast dry with paper towels and coat all over with Cajun turkey seasoning. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 F (175 C). The temperature is important, so use a thermometer to test. VERY SLOWLY lower the seasoned breast into the hot oil. Use heat resistant gloves to protect yourself from splashing.
- Fry breast to 3 minutes per pound plus 5 extra minutes. Therefore a three pound breast will take 14 minutes ((3 X 3) + 5 = 14). The internal temperature of the thickest part of turkey breast should be at least 170-175 F.
- Carefully remove from oil and place onto a paper towel lined cutting board. Allow breast to drain for 5 to 7 minutes. Carve into 1/2 inch slices and serve with your favorite sides.