This is a fabulous one-piece strawberry shortcake to take along to a special event or cookout.
Assemble the biscuit layers with the strawberries just before serving time. It's wonderful served warm, but it's great cold as well. If you're short on time, you might enjoy this easy shortcut shortcake recipe instead.
- For the Filling:
- 2 pints strawberries (rinsed, hulled, sliced)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- For the Shortcake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- Optional: 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 5 tablespoons shortening (or use all butter)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Garnish: whipped cream (sweetened with a little confectioners' sugar if desired)
- Place strawberries in a large bowl; sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar. Let stand, covered, for at least 1 hour before serving time.
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Combine the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar (if using), baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening and 6 tablespoons of butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add milk; stir with a fork until all of the flour is moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 3 to 5 times, or just enough to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions (Roughly 13 1/2 ounces each if you're weighing).
- Gently roll out or pat each portion into a round to fit a 8- or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Place each portion into a lightly buttered or parchment-lined pan; press edges to form a slight ridge.
- Brush the dough lightly with some of the melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 14 minutes, until browned.
- Brush each layer with butter while still warm.
- Place one layer on a serving plate and top with half to two-thirds of the sweetened strawberries and juice. Place the other layer over the strawberry later and top with the remaining berries.
- Serve warm, cut in wedges, with whipped cream.
- If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
You Might Also Like
Layered Strawberry Shortcake (with cake batter layers)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|