Leave your boring Chex mix recipe at home. This spicy rendition of a popular crunchy snack is super easy to put together and full of spicy flavor.
Buffalo-seasoned pretzels, Flamin Hot Cheetos, Sriracha, and some cayenne pepper give the Chex mix an unbelievable kick. It is perfect for a grown-up party and looks pretty and devilish set up on a Halloween snack table—the Bugles even resemble witches fingers. Package it as a party favor with cute Halloween colors or just serve it in a large bowl.
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup Bugles corn snacks
- 1 cup oyster soup crackers
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup bite-size pretzels (buffalo-seasoned, if possible)
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Flamin Hot Cheetos
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 250 F.
In a large bowl, gently stir together the Chex cereal, Bugles, oyster crackers, peanuts, and pretzels.
Add the butter to a measuring cup or another microwave-safe dish that is easy to pour from and microwave until melted.
Whisk the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper into the butter until it is completely combined.
Gradually pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture, stirring as you pour so that all of the cereal is completely coated. Spread the cereal onto a large ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Make sure it is spread out in one even layer.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure all pieces get crispy.
Allow the mixture to cool and then add the Flaming Hot Cheetos. (Do not add at the beginning. They do not stay crispy when mixed with the butter mixture.)
Serve right away or store in an airtight container. The mix will stay fresh for about a week.
- Speed up the recipe: The Chex Mix will be crispier if you use the oven instructions. However, if you need to whip up this mix in less time, you can use the microwave. It only takes six minutes and tastes almost as good as the oven-baked version. After tossing the mixture with the spices and butter, microwave for six minutes, but make sure to stop every two minutes to stir. Allow to cool on a baking sheet and serve.
- Hot pretzels: If you cannot find buffalo-seasoned pretzels, use the regular kind of pretzels and add an extra teaspoon of hot sauce to the mixture. It will still be quite spicy even without the buffalo seasoning.
- Nut substitutes or additions: Instead of peanuts, you can substitute other nuts like cashews or pecans. Or, to give your mix a nuttier taste, include them all in the mixture.