This deep, dark, decadent dessert is pure indulgence. Made with Dutch-process cocoa powder (ex: Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder), this chocolaty dessert takes the cake for the most intense and rich flavor.
You can also use regular natural cocoa powder, but keep in mind that the final cake will be lighter in color and in chocolaty flavor.
- For the Devil's Food Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cooking oil (such as canola or olive)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tahini or peanut butter
- 1 cup very strong brewed coffee (cold)
- 1 cup nondairy milk, such as coconut, almond, or cashew
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider vinegar recommended)
- For the Fluffy White Frosting
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum brand)
- 1/4 cup nondairy margarine
Preheat your oven to 350 F and lightly grease two 8 inch round metal cake pans. You can also use a 9 x 13-inch sheet pan to make this cake, or line 12 cupcake tins with liners but the time will be different.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup buckwheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the cooking oil, granulated sugar, tahini, and 1 cup very strong brewed coffee, and mix well using a large fork. Gradually add in the 1 cup nondairy milk a little bit at a time until all has been incorporated. Finally, stir in the 2 tablespoons vinegar.
Divide the batter evenly among the two 8 inch metal cake pans. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely and then top one round cake with frosting and sandwich the other cake on top of the frosted cake. Frost completely to cover, or enjoy as is.
To Make the Fluffy White Frosting
Beat together the ingredients using an electric mixer or by whisking vigorously by hand until very fluffy.
Refrigerate until ready to use, and allow the frosting to come back to room temperature for easy spreading.
Cooking Times for Other Pans
- For 9 x 13 inch pan, bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- For 12 cupcakes, bake about 22 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of a middle cupcake comes out clean.