This easy, popular slow cooker pot roast is made with only 4 ingredients and water. Use a good lean beef chuck roast in this recipe, or look for a cut of beef with "pot roast" on the label. Also, onion soup mix flavors this pot roast perfectly.
- 3 pounds lean beef chuck roast (or rump roast)
- 2 packages onion soup mix (1 box/2 envelopes)
- 1/2 pound baby carrots (more or less, as desired)
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (more or less, as desired)
- 2 cups water
Gather the ingredients.
Place beef pot roast in the crock pot.
Add carrots and new potatoes.
Sprinkle with the onion soup mix.
Pour water over pot roast.
Cook on low 8 to 10 hrs or until tender.
Thicken the gravy with 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch which has been mixed with cold water.
- Cuts of beef for pot roasts are often labeled by the grocer, but if not, choose a lean chuck roast, blade roast, 7-bone, rump roast, bottom round, or shoulder roast.
- The juices tend to be watery by the end of the cooking time, so when the roast is done, keep it warm and pour juices into a medium saucepan. Bring the juices to a boil and simmer briskly until reduced and more flavorful, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To thicken, combine 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with a few tablespoons of cold water. Mix until smooth and stir into the simmering juices. Serve the gravy or juices with the sliced pot roast.