|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||72%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 12mg||62%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy, popular, slow cooker pot roast is made with only four ingredients and water. Use a good lean beef chuck roast in this recipe, or look for a cut of beef with "pot roast" on the label. The onion soup mix flavors this pot roast perfectly and the long slow cooking has the pot roast falling apart tender. No searing is needed with this recipe, just put in the roast and the other ingredients, then top off with the soup mix and water and let it cook. The slow cooker will do the rest.
Enjoy this pot roast with some homemade biscuits or dinner rolls.
3 pounds lean beef chuck roast
1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, or to taste
1/2 pound baby carrots, or to taste
2 (1-ounce) envelopes onion soup mix
2 cups water
Gather the ingredients.
Place beef pot roast in crock pot.
Add new potatoes and carrots.
Sprinkle with onion soup mix.
Pour water over pot roast.
Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until tender.
- Cuts of beef for pot roasts are often labeled by the grocer, but if not, choose a lean chuck roast, blade roast, 7-bone, rump roast, bottom round, or shoulder roast.
- The juices tend to be watery by the end of the cooking time, so when the roast is done, keep it warm and pour juices into a medium saucepan. Bring the juices to a boil and simmer briskly until reduced and more flavorful, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To thicken, combine 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with a few tablespoons of cold water. Mix until smooth, and stir into the simmering juices. Serve the gravy or juices with the sliced pot roast.
- Make your own homemade onion soup mix instead of using a store-bought one. It's easy, and you will probably have the ingredients at home already.
- Add some more veggies into the mix. Throw in some green beans, sliced mushrooms, or whatever vegetable you desire.
- Substitute sweet potatoes or turnips for the potatoes.
- Add in some sliced red or yellow onion for additional oniony flavor.
- Love garlic? Add some chopped garlic into the slow cooker.
Why is my crock pot roast not tender?
If your pot roast is not tender or doesn't pull apart with a fork, most likely it hasn't cooked long enough. Simply let it cook longer.