- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers
- 5 tablespoons pickling salt (canning salt, divided)
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated)
- 6 teaspoons dill seeds
- 3 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 6 medium bay leaves
- 18 to 24 black peppercorns
- Slice ends off cucumbers then slice in 1/4-inch rounds.
- Put the cucumber slices in a large nonreactive bowl or pot* and cover with the 2 1/2 quarts of water.
- Add 3 tablespoons salt and stir until salt is dissolved. Cover and let stand for 12 hours.
- Drain cucumber slices.
- Prepare jars. Fill a boiling water canner half-full with water; add jars and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low to keep jars hot.
- In a nonreactive stainless steel or enamel-lined pot, combine the 3 cups vinegar and 3 cups water.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons of salt until dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Into each of six 1-pint jars, add 1 teaspoon dill seeds, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 bay leaf, 3 or 4 peppercorns, and about 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic. Pack with cucumbers.
- Add hot vinegar mixture to each jar, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace.
- Wipe and spills off of the rims and threads of the jars with a damp paper towel. Fit with the lids and screw on jar rings tightly.
- Put the jars in a rack and lower them carefully into the hot water. If necessary, add more boiling of near-boiling water so the water level is at least 1 to 2 inches above the jars.
- Bring the water to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars to a rack to cool completely.
- About 24 hours later, check all of the jars for proper sealing. If you have a jar that didn't seal properly, refrigerate it and use it right away.
- Store in a cool dark place for a few weeks before using. After opening, refrigerate the pickles for up to 2 months.
*Use an enamel-lined or stainless steel pot or a stainless steel, glass, or ceramic bowl.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|