Dinner Plans is a realistic plan to put in a few hours of work (planning, shopping, and prepping) and get a big head start on your week.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Saute or grill 24 thick sausages (beef, pork, or poultry) in batches.
- Cool and pack 16 sausages in two containers in the refrigerator (reserving the first 8 for dinner).
- Organize your ingredients for a pasta and a soup.
- If you're able to, tackle extra veg prep. Chop onions for all dishes, rinse and chop vegetables for the pasta and soup, and cook the pasta to save time, and simplify clean-up later in the week.
Watch this mashed rutabaga recipe come together
Prep Day Dinner
Prep Day Tips
- Each batch of 8 sausages will take about 20 minutes to cook on a grill or in a large, heavy skillet.
- Since you'll be peeling and slicing a lot of onions for the gravy, keep them in a sealed container or under a clean, damp dish towel until you're ready to use them so they don't burn your eyes!
- Use an inexpensive balsamic vinegar (or a simple substitute) for the Brussels sprouts, since the liquid will reduce, thicken, and sweeten in the oven on its own.
- Let the other sausages cool while you eat dinner, then pack in two labeled containers and refrigerate until ready to use.
Rigatoni with Sausage Dinner Prep Tips
- Use slices or crumbles of sausage from the day before.
- Get ahead on prep day: Chop the carrot, celery, garlic, and onion for the sauce. Trim the broccoli rabe and mushrooms. Par cook the pasta to al dente, chill and store until you are ready to assemble the dish.
- Serving suggestion: If your family likes pasta extra-cheesy, stir in some shredded mozzarella just before serving.
Loaded with rib-sticking sausage and tender vegetables, this Kale and White Bean Soup is a delicious one-pot meal you'll make again and again. Like many hearty soups and stews, this one tastes even better the next day.
Kale and White Bean Soup Tips
- Any type of sausage works well in this soup, from simple bratwurst to spicy Italian.
- Get ahead on prep day: measure and prepare the vegetables for the soup and soak the beans.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with plenty of grated Parmesan cheese for an extra-savory flavor.
Did you make this dinner plan? Rate it and tell others how it worked.