Typically served around Christmas and other holidays, this sweet treat is a must for honey lovers, as honey is incorporated into the recipe and drizzled on top.
- 2 cups honey
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 4 1/3 cups vegetable oil (divided)
- Garnish: cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds, toasted)
- Boil first 3 ingredients for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep on a low burner until ready to use.
- Combine eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly, kneading lightly. Add 1/3 cup oil and mix well.
- Separate dough into five sections. Keep unused portion covered to keep from drying. Roll out each section like rolling a pie, thin.
- With pastry wheel or paring knife, cut into strips 2 inches wide and the length of the pastry. Roll on a fork to form circle*.
- Heat oil in a fryer. Drop into hot oil. Remove when the dough is light brown and puffed. Drain on paper towels.
- Dip in reserved hot syrup; sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts.
- The dough strips are sometimes formed into circles with 2 forks after they are put in the hot oil.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|