Light and fluffy, divinity is a classic! It's also a bit temperamental when the weather is hot and humid, so it is best to attempt divinity in low-humidity conditions.
- 3 cups sugar (granulated)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup water (warm)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or another flavor of your choice)
- Optional: 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees, firm-ball stage.
- Beat the egg whites in the bowl of a large standing mixture until stiff peaks form. Slowly pour about half of the sugar syrup into the egg whites, beating constantly.
- Continue to cook the remaining syrup until it reaches 270 degrees, soft-crack stage.
- Stream the remaining syrup mixture into the egg whites while the mixer is running. Continue to beat until the candy is thick, shiny and holds its shape.
- Mix in extract and nuts until fully incorporated.
- Drop by the teaspoonful onto cookie sheet, and let cool until full set.
Variation: Divinity can be poured into a 9-inch square pan, cooled, and cut into small squares instead of being dropped from a spoon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|