This nicely seasoned potato salad is made with the addition of bacon and chopped dill pickle.
The mayonnaise dressing is flavored with a few tablespoons of red wine vinegar and some chopped dill pickle. Low starch red-skinned potatoes or fingerling are recommended because they hold their shape particularly well.
- 2 pounds potatoes (red-skinned)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 dill pickle (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Peel (or leave unpeeled, if desired) and cube the potatoes. Put them in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain completely and let the potatoes cool completely with the cover ajar.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. When the bacon has cooled, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cooled potatoes with the onion, celery, pickle, and parsley.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise with the vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the dressing to the potato mixture and toss gently. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Cover the bowl and chill until serving time.
Add chopped hard-boiled eggs to the potato mixture, or garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|