Domaine de Canton is a French ginger liqueur made with eau-de-vie and VSOP and XO Grande Champagne Cognacs. The ginger comes from fresh, baby Vietnamese ginger. Other flavors include vanilla beans, ginseng, and Provencal orange blossom honey. The company notes that they make the liqueur in small batches by hand. They peel and cut the baby ginger by hand and mix it with herbs and spices.
The flavor profile of Domaine de Canton is described as having an aroma of ginger and honey on the nose.
The taste is of ginger, honey, and vanilla. The heat from the ginger builds and can be felt on the edges of your tongue and throat. It has a creamy texture. It is a light yellow-gold color.
Retail price is around $30 for a 750-ml bottle.
History of Domaine de Canton
The name of the liqueur comes from where it was first produced, in Canton (now properly called Guangzhou), China. The original formulation was produced and sold from 1992 to 1997 under the name of "The Original Canton Delicate Ginger Liqueur." The liqueur was discontinued in 1997.
A new ginger liqueur was formulated and produced in Jarnac, France, by John Cooper. It is higher in alcohol content than the original, at 28 percent alcohol by volume (ABV) or 56 proof. This new formulation was called Canton Ginger & Cognac Liqueur and released in the U.S. in 2007. In 2008, it changed its name to the current Domaine de Canton French Ginger Liqueur.
The liqueur immediately garnered awards, including Double Gold and Best In Show at the 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, repeating this achievement at the 2013 and 2015 competitions. Its bamboo-shaped bottle and closure won a 2008 Pentawards, which are given to recognize excellence in creative packaging.
Ginger Liqueur Cocktails
While you might sip Domaine de Canton by itself, it is best used in cocktails. They list several cocktails on their website.
- Blood Martini: Enjoy this blood-red drink for Halloween. The color comes from grape juice and blackberry syrup, with ginger liqueur and citrus vodka packing the punch
- Dragon's Heart: Concocted to honor the year of the dragon in 2012, it includes 12-year old rum, mezcal, elderflower cordial, blood orange juice, and ginger liqueur.
- Georgia on My Mind: Peach, ginger liqueur, bitters, basil, and bourbon will have you thinking tranquil thoughts.
- Ginger Martini: It's as elegant as it gets with ginger liqueur, vodka, and lemon.
- Gold Rush: Make it snappy by adding ginger liqueur to bourbon and lemon juice.
- Hot Ginger Toddy: Warm yourself with bourbon, honey, and lemon.
- Jim's Diablo: This tequila cocktail includes creme de cassis, ginger liqueur, and ginger beer.
- La Coloniale: This version of the martini includes gin and ginger liqueur.
- Manhattan Love Story: It's a marriage of flavors and includes whiskey, sake, ginger liqueur, and bitters.
- Tuscan Pear: This low ball cocktail includes pear-flavored vodka, limoncello, ginger liqueur and orange juice.
- Winter Cocktail: This cool drink will warm you from the inside. It includes rum, ginger liqueur, pimento dram, and bitters.