This recipe for Hungarian walnut torte or dios torta (DEE-oosh TOORR-taw) is from Dorothy Bardoczi. Some people toast their walnuts before they grind them, but this recipe doesn't call for it. Dorothy bakes this sponge cake in a tube pan, but I prefer to use three (8-inch) round cake pans.
Freeze leftover egg whites and save for leftover egg white recipes.
- For the Walnut Sponge:
- 12 large eggs (separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 4 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powderZest of 1 lemon
- For the Chocolate Buttercream:
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To make the sponge: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 10-cup tube pan or three (8-inch) round pans with cooking spray. If desired, line 8-inch pan bottoms with parchment paper circles and again lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat egg yolks with sugar for 15 minutes. Add nuts and mix thoroughly. Sift together flour and baking powder, and mix into batter until thoroughly incorporated.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it. Then, gently fold in the remaining egg whites, trying not to deflate the volume. Fold in zest.
- Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake tube pan for 1 hour or 8-inch pans for 25 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown. Don't overbake. Cool in pan a few minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate buttercream: In a double boiler over low heat, cook egg yolks, confectioners' sugar, and milk until thick or until a wooden spoon leaves a track in the bottom of the pot. Mix in the slightly cooled melted chocolate. Let cool to room temperature otherwise the butter will melt and the frosting will be soupy and will need to be refrigerated before using. Mix in butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Frost the entire tube cake or frost between 8-inch layers, the sides, and top. Garnish with chocolate curls or nuts, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|