Use thawed frozen peaches in a pinch, and feel free to use more or less sugar in the peaches, depending on tartness or to suit your own taste.
- 4 cups peaches (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For the Top Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Optional: 1 egg white (whisked with 1 tablespoon of water)
- Optional: cinnamon sugar
- Butter an 11-by-7 baking pan or 9-inch square baking dish. Heat oven to 450°.
- Toss peach slices with the 3 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Cut in the shortening and butter until well combined. The mixture will look like coarse meal.
- Add milk and mix just until the dough holds together.
- Put the peaches in the prepared baking dish. Roll the dough out just a little bigger than the baking dish. Fold over and place on top of peaches; unfold. Crimp edges around the baking dish, prick several times with a fork.
- If desired, brush with the egg white and water mixture then sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar.
- Put a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drips.
- Bake the cobbler for 10 minutes at 450°. Reduce heat to 350° and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, until nicely browned and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|