This beer can chicken recipe (aka Beer in the Butt Chicken) adds crab boil to the beer, making this whole chicken even more tender and flavorful.
- 1 whole chicken (fryer)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons/22.5 mL Louisiana Cajun seasoning salt (or any seasoned salt)
- 1 16 ounce/475 mL can beer (any brand)
- 1 ounce/30 mL Zataran's crab boil
1. Tear a piece of aluminum foil paper about 12 inches long. Fold in half and put on grill, folding edges under grill to secure in place.
2. Remove and excess fat or skin hanging off of from chicken, and rinse with cool water. Pat dry with paper towels. Season chicken well inside and out with Cajun seasoning. Make sure to get under the skin of the breast.
3. Open can of beer, take a big pour out one ounce of liquid and either drink or discard it.
Add liquid crab boil to beer. Separate skin from neck area by pushing finger between skin and meat. While holding pocket open, pour beer into pocket. Do this in several areas. A large injection needle works well for doing this.
3. Next slide chicken over can of beer, holding beer can and chicken while gently putting on foil covered section of grill. Close grill and cook for about 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is done. The internal temperature must be 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) in breast meat and 175 degrees F (79 degrees C) in thigh area.
4. Once cooked, using heat resistant gloves, carefully remove chicken from grill and place onto a large cutting board. Remove beer can and loosely tent bird with aluminum foil. Let rest for 8-10 minutes before carving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|