Prepare a light sponge cake, then drizzle with a sweet sauce made with brandy, lemon and spiced with a bit of cinnamon. Use it as a light dessert at the end of a big meal. If you prefer, serve with a hot cup of Spanish coffee or hot chocolate on a cold morning or for afternoon tea.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Centigrade. Generously grease an 8-inch square cake pan with vegetable shortening, then flour it.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Then, beat the egg yolks in a bowl with the sugar until it forms a creamy mixture.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff enough to form a point. Fold in the yolk mixture with a spatula, smoothly and carefully.
- Fold in the baking powder and flour gradually, a bit at a time.
- Pour in the batter and bake for 20 minutes, or until it turns golden. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it is clean when pulled out, the cake is done.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup. In a small sauce pan, pour water and sugar, cinnamon, honey and lemon peel. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the brandy and allow the syrup to cool.
- After the cake has cooled, carefully cut into 9 pieces and place them on a serving plate. Drizzle the pieces of cake with the brandy sauce and then dust the top with cinnamon. Serve with coffee or tea.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|