Serve this tasty lentil dish with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) or Parathas (pan-fried Indian flatbread) and your favorite pickle for a simple yet very fulfilling meal.
- 1 cup Split Moong Daal (split yellow lentil)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower cooking oil)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 pinch of asafetida
- 2-inch piece of ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilies (chopped very fine)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice (or lemon juice)
- Garnish: chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Put the daal in a large bowl and wash thoroughly. Put the washed daal into a pot/ deep pan to boil it. Add enough water to completely cover the daal, salt to taste and the turmeric powder. Mix well and set up to boil. Cook till the daal is soft but not mashed.
- Heat the oil in another pan, on medium heat and add the cumin seeds and chopped green chilli. Fry till spluttering stops and then add grated ginger. Fry for 1 minute.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)