|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 to 12 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 19g||96%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A dump cake is very similar to a fruit cobbler in that it is made up of a fruit filling topped with a cake-like batter. The recipe is named after the technique you use to make it, which is basically dumping everything into a pan before baking. A dump cake is an ideal recipe for kids since there is no mixing or difficult techniques involved. Canned fruits are dumped into a baking pan, topped with cake mix, butter, and nuts, and then baked. The result is something in between a cake and a cobbler, and amazingly delicious. It may be perfect for kids but adults will also love this recipe.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F for a glass baking dish). Have a 9- x 13-inch baking pan ready.
Dump undrained pineapple into the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
Using a spoon, dump globs of cherry pie filling evenly on top of the pineapple.
Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the cherry and pineapple layers.
Cut butter into slices with a butter knife and place slices evenly over cake mix.
Sprinkle nuts on top, if you're using them.
Bake for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven.
To serve, scoop out cake out with a large spoon onto a plate.
- This cake can be served warm or cold. If you prefer to eat the dump cake cold, place in the refrigerator after it has cooled until chilled.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen up to 3 months. Thaw a frozen dump cake in the refrigerator and slowly reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds and then in 10-second intervals until warm.
- This combination of pineapple and cherry may be a big hit with the kids, but there are plenty of other dump cake versions to try from peach, pear, apple, pumpkin, and blueberry.
- For a twist, consider adding coconut or nuts as well.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topped with whipped cream.