|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 10 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||51%|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 22g|
|Vitamin C 6mg||31%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A dump cake is very similar to a fruit cobbler in that it is made up of a fruit filling topped with a cake-like batter. The recipe is named after the technique you use to make it, which is basically dumping everything into a pan before baking. A dump cake is an ideal recipe for kids since there is no mixing or difficult techniques involved. Canned fruits are dumped into a baking pan, topped with cake mix, butter, and nuts, and then baked. The result is something in between a cake and a cobbler, and amazingly delicious. It may be perfect for kids but adults will also love this recipe.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350 F (or 325 F for a glass baking dish). Have a 9 x 13-inch baking pan ready.
Pour pineapple into baking dish and spread evenly.
Using a spoon, evenly spread cherry pie filling over pineapple.
Sprinkle cake mix evenly over cherry and pineapple layers.
Cut butter into slices and place evenly over cake mix.
Sprinkle nuts on top, if using.
Bake for 1 hour.
- This cake can be served warm or cold. If you prefer to eat the dump cake cold, place in the refrigerator after it has cooled until chilled.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen up to three months. Thaw a frozen dump cake in the refrigerator and slowly reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds and then in 10-second intervals until warm.
- This combination of pineapple and cherry may be a big hit with the kids, but there are plenty of other dump cake versions to try from peach, pear, apple, pumpkin, and blueberry.
- For a twist, consider adding coconut or nuts as well.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topped with whipped cream.